So much to teach. So little time to teach it. That is how I feel when it comes to passing on my Christian faith to my kids. There are so many things I want my children to know about God and His Word yet I often feel like a lost ship in a vast ocean. Should we be memorizing scripture? Reading more Bible stories? Discussing theology? Praying together more? And where do I find the time to do all these things?
I believe one of the reasons I have felt so lost is that I never really knew where I was going! I knew that I wanted my children to come to a saving faith in Christ but I wasn’t sure what to share with them or how to go about doing it. What is it that I want to accomplish in the 18 years that I have each of my children under my roof?
I decided to make a list of everything I wanted to pass on to my kids. I figured it would be easier to accomplish the task of sharing my faith with my children if I knew what the tasks were!
Here’s my list of what I want to teach my kids about God and the Bible before they leave my home:
- Understanding salvation (how to become a Christian)
- Develop a love for God and His Word (which only comes through faith in Christ)
- Grow in their passion for God and appreciation for their salvation that leads to a desire to serve God through serving others
- Knowledge of Bible stories
- Understanding theological truths
- Memorizing scripture
- Learning how to pray
- Knowledge of church history, persecuted Christians and the great men and women of the Christian faith
- Hymns: Be able to sing them and know the history and theology behind them
- Know how to defend their faith (apologetics)
Now that I know what I want to teach them, I can begin to form a plan to accomplish this (somewhat daunting) task! I’ve been asking God for wisdom on how and when to share these important things with my kids. I’m feeling a sense of relief as God has been showing me how simple it can be. I’m thankful for the added time that homeschooling offers me to pass these things on to my children. I’m excited to see how our family grows in the Lord as we dive into His Word and learn about who He is and all that He has done for us!
I pray that as my children learn about God, experience His hand working in our family and see my joy in the Lord overflow that they will seek Jesus as their own personal savior. I know I can only teach their minds these marvelous truths and share my own excitement for God and that it is up to the Lord to stir each young heart in my home to turn to Christ. I pray He does just that.
Don’t miss any new posts. Subscribe today!
Get Your Free eBook!
Grab your free eBook and learn the secrets for a successful homeschool journey by subscribing to my newsletter.