About two years ago I found myself overwhelmed with homeschooling. It was becoming difficult to keep everyone on track and I had a steady stream of questions about what subject they should do next or how long they should work on an assignment. I contemplated using the workbox system but the amount of space those storage boxes take up (not to mention the cost of them) kept me looking for another option.
Then I discovered My Student Logbook created by Corina, a busy homeschooling mom of nine! It was just what I needed to keep my kids on track and our homeschool more organized. It was a lifesaver for me when I was on bed rest with my sixth child. It allowed others to help my kids with their school work without me having to create lesson plans (although I do make lesson plans now that I am not on bed rest).
So what exactly is My Student Logbook?
My Student Logbook is an easy way for your child to keep track of their work while allowing the parent to save time by only writing out the daily and weekly homeschool tasks once for an entire month or even a year (depending on how often you alter your students course work). Corina put together a helpful introduction video to show you what the Logbook looks like and how it works.
How we use it in our homeschool
I use My Student Logbooks with my elementary age children who are able to read. I list all the subjects and tasks that I want them to complete in a week along the side of the sheet (labeled Checklist). In the “Time” column I write either the days I want them to do that particular subject (such as W,F next to science to show them that their science work only needs to be done on Wednesdays and Fridays) or I write the amount of time I want them to work on a particular subject each day (such as 10 minutes next to math drills).
When they complete an assignment for the day they either write down the page number or lesson number that they did or simply put a check in the box. Next year I will have them put their scores/grades in the boxes when they do a graded assignment so that I have one less thing to keep track of.
Every few months I change out the checklist with a new one mostly because they have finished up a subject and/or we are adding in something new.
What my kids love about My Student Logbooks
- That they get to pick out their own cover each year.
- That they know what is expected of them each day.
- Knowing when they have completed all their work for the day.
- The pride they feel in seeing all those check marks that represent work they have completed!
What I love about My Student Logbooks
- The versatility that the logbooks provide. There are so many different ways you can use the Logbook to fit your needs.
- How easy it is to set up! (Click here for the setup guide)
- That my children are not continually asking me what they have to do for school. They can clearly see what needs to be done on any given day.
- All the extras in the back. Did I forget to mention all those extras in the back of the logbook?! Click here for a list of everything that is contained in the logbooks.
- I love that I can purchase a dated logbook to help with keeping track of attendance. But there are undated My Student Logbooks as well!
- I can quickly see what subjects/tasks each child has completed and what they still have to finish. It also helps me keep track of how each child is progressing in each subject.
- I put red dots next to the subjects/tasks that I want my child to do on (what we call) a “Red Dot Day”. This is a half-day when we might be running errands, going to doctor appointments or when I might be ill and unable to do a full day of school with the kids. I just tell them it’s a “Red Dot Day” and they know that they only have to complete the subjects that have red dots next to them. Most of these subjects/tasks are ones that the kids can do on their own with little to no help from me.
- Corina has put together several videos showing how you can use the Student Logbook to help with preparing high school transcripts for your older student. Click here for more information on how the logbook can make record keeping easier in the high school years.
If you’d like to check out My Student Logbook for your family visit their website at MyStudentLogbook.com.
**I was not given this product for review nor am I being compensated for this post. I discovered this product on my own, purchased it with my own money and was so pleased with its versatility and ease of use that I had to share it with all of you!**
Get Your Free eBook!
Grab your free eBook and learn the secrets for a successful homeschool journey by subscribing to my newsletter.